Valentine’s Day Safety Tips for Pet Owners

Valentine’s Day is only a few weeks away. Did you know that this holiday, like most, brings with it a few potential pet hazards to be aware of? Here, your Marietta, GA veterinarian tells you how to keep your four-legged friend safe.

Watch the Chocolate

Chocolate is found in abundance around Valentine’s Day, and your pet shouldn’t be allowed to get their paws anywhere near it. Chocolate of all types—dark, milk, white, semi-sweet, Baker’s, etc.—contains theobromine and caffeine, chemicals that are harmful to pets. Eating too much chocolate will result in vomiting and diarrhea at the very least, and depression, lethargy, and even coma and death will occur without treatment. Tightly restrict your pet’s access to chocolates.

Careful with Candy

Candy is equally as dangerous as chocolate. Many types of candy and gums are sweetened with xylitol, an artificial sugar that is highly toxic to animals. As little as a few pieces of candy or gum sweetened with this substance can prove harmful! Don’t leave such items out on countertops or tables where pets could gain access to them.

Candle Caution

Do you plan on lighting candles to set a romantic holiday mood? Do so carefully. If pets can get to areas where lit candles are sitting, it’s possible for them to burn themselves on an open flame, or accidentally knock the candle over. This could cause burns thanks to the hot wax, or even start a house fire in the worst-case scenario! Place candles where pets can’t reach.

Flower Tips

Lilies are a common flower found in bouquets this time of year. Did you know that they’re very toxic to our feline friends? It’s possible that dogs who ingest lilies could be harmed as well. Check all bouquets to make sure your pet will stay safe. Also beware of roses; while not toxic per say, the sharp thorns found on rose stems can hurt a pet if they decide to chow down.

Keep an Eye on Alcohol

If you’ll be including alcoholic beverages in your holiday celebrations, keep an eye on them to make sure your pet doesn’t imbibe. Wine, liquor, beer, and champagne can all prove harmful to pets, as alcohol affects them just like it affects us. It only takes a small amount to do serious harm!

Would you like more Valentine’s Day safety tips for your pet? Call your Marietta, GA vet’s office today.

Comments are closed.